From Where We Sit: Thoughts from Leadpoint’s Leadership Choosing to Run Your MRF Yourself
Profit & Operating Pressures: Steep & Deep
Like many municipal entities, at Leadpoint we’re acutely aware of the profit and operating pressures government owned MRFs are facing today. At the same time, municipal organizations across the country are dealing with changes in local recycling programs, tax and revenue pressures on their recycling services, and ongoing efforts to educate consumers about recycling. Your challenges are steep and deep.
- Costs and complexities of municipal operations are changing.
- Processing restrictions are driving down prices to market materials
- Bale quality and contamination are constant issues.
- Inbound streams are becoming more complex causing you to invest in public education.
- The cost/benefit analysis of MRF automation is attractive but challenging to implement.
- Finding and retaining the right employees feels impossible in today’s competitive wage environment.
The list goes on…and We get it.
A ‘Run Our Own’ Groundswell
At Leadpoint, we get calls every week from municipalities that are considering running their MRFs themselves as a way to regain some control and cut costs.
With all the pressures on traditional operators, we understand why it can make sense for MRFs and municipalities of all sizes to seek all types of options.
We also understand what it takes to run MRF operations and to handle the people.
It’s not easy. Leadpoint can help.
Hybrid Partnerships With a MRF Expert
A solution that can make sense for some municipalities is to run their MRF plant themselves and let Leadpoint help manage the solutions for system support. This hybrid partnership approach has several benefits.
- Operating Knowledge.
- You know your business. We know your industry. Leadpoint has nearly 20 years of knowledge and expertise in running MRF plants. When you partner with us, we bring that benefit into your operation every day, on every shift.
- High Performance Standards
- Leadpoint’s high-performance work team approach reduces turnover, training time, safety incidents and employee management issues for MRF operators. For each site, we recruit and hire a full-time crew of sorters, line leads and others, embed an recycling experienced on-site manager, and handle the entire labor equation within the MRF process.
- Planning and Analysis
- Some municipalities already have deep knowledge and HR expertise in house; they’re just not sure how to bring it all together to run their MRF efficiently and at a profit. Leadpoint offers short- and mid-term consulting services. Our Workforce Optimization Team of experts can come into your MRF and work with leadership to build skills, confidence and processes, and then leave the day-to-day business with you.
- Direct Hire and Training.
- Perhaps you have the processes, structure and technology to operate your MRF independently but are missing a few key employees to lead the way. Leadpoint’s industry knowledge and connections can help here, too. Our team can recruit, train and help you select the right leaders and staff members for your operation through our direct hire and training departments.
Pulling it All Together
When municipalities choose to run their MRFs themselves, Leadpoint can join your team to run the operations, leverage our expertise and support the labor. This approach can help you manage costs, maintain control of the big profit picture, and improve productivity by having the right people in place to support your goals for Recycling.
Contact Leadpoint at 888-205-1511 or Sales@LeadpointUSA.com to explore partnership opportunities for your MRF.